This recipe is from blogger Tamarind Heaven, and my family loves this dish with some basmati rice!
OKRA IN COCONUT MILK
(at least for four)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons oil
- two small onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- about 2 cm piece of ginger finely grated
- about 400 g of okra washed, dried
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- about ½ - 1 tablespoon of jaggery or other sugar
- add salt to taste
- 2 - 3 green chilies
- about 4 tablespoons fresh coconut
- about 1 ½ dl of coconut milk
- ½ - 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- (fresh coriander for decoration)
1. Grind the green chilies and fresh coconut into a very fine paste with a food processor. Add water as needed to obtain a smooth mixture.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until slightly colored. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another five minutes. Then add the okra, turmeric, chili powder, jaggery and salt, mix well and fry for five minutes.
3. Add coconut & green chilies paste, coconut milk and enough water to almost cover the okra. Simmer under the lid over medium heat until the okra is soft. Add the coriander powder at the end. Check the taste and garnish with fresh coriander, if you like.