|I decided to bring a little warmth to our freezing cold day! Pasta con melanzane, gamberoni & asparagini — Pasta with eggplants, prawns & asparagus.|
Ingredients for 4 people
- 400 g di paccheri, penne or whatever pasta format you prefer
- 2 small eggplants (300-400 g), cubed, salt-treated
- 20g scallion, finely chopped
- olio extra virgin olive oil (8-10 tbsp), for cooking two different sauces
- salt, as much as needed
- 2 garlic gloves, sliced and removed before eating
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 400 g prawn tails, shelled and deveined
- 10 pcs baby asparagus, chopped in 1 cm bits
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, halved and seeds removed
- ½ glass of white wine or a juice of a lemon
- parsley, chopped, as much as needed
- 70 g di pecorino / parmesan, grated
Start cooking the pasta for about 11-13 minutes. If you are slow or your pasta takes less time to cook, put the pasta boiling when you have cooked the sauce number one. The sauce should be ready before the pasta rather than the other way around.
Regarding the sauce, we prepare two of them in separate pans.
Pour 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into the pot and drop in the garlic, the chilies, the prawns, baby asparagus, and cook them for 2 minutes in high heat. Now add in the white wine and mix well. Let the alcohol evaporate. Next add in chopped fresh cherry tomatoes and leave them to cook for about 4 minutes. Sprinkle over some finely chopped parsley and season with salt and black pepper. Cover, and let the sauce cool down.
Pour into a large a pan 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Stir-fry the cubed eggplants and scallions until they have browned for about 7 minutes. You can do this whilst you are cooking the sauce number one if you are good at multitasking.
So by now 7 minutes has passed since you started cooking the pasta. Take now a half a cupful of pasta cooking water a part. Strain the pasta and mix with the two sauces together. Add some pasta cooking water, if sauce looks too dry. Remove from the heat. Add some grated pecorino/parmesan and sprinkle on top some finely chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Happy home cooking!
Happy home cooking!