|Nikki’s adaptation of Som Tam Thai|
Our friend Richard sent his daughter's som tam (shredded green papaya salad) recipe for me to test. They used to live in Thailand, where they could always find unripe papaya, but back in the UK supermarkets sell mostly mature fruits, so Nikki decided to use sweetheart cabbage, instead. Raw papaya is firm and crunchy, not dissimilar to uncooked cabbage.
- Shredded sweetheart cabbage (also called as hispi cabbage)
- Blanched fine green beans
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- Sauce: sugar, fish sauce (nam pla), soy sauce, fresh birds eye chilies
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts
Add chilis to taste! If you put fresh chilies into to Nam pla they soften a bit over time. Can also add dried chilis.
I used the following quantities:
- 3/4 hispi cabbage
- 20-30 pcs of green beans
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- Sauce: 5 ml sugar, 15 ml fish sauce, 15 ml soy sauce, 4 piri piri chilis
- 1 dl peanuts, dry roasted, non salted